SUN VALLEY / KETCHUM IDAHO BIKE RENTALS
These are the mountain bike rental prices for each of the shops. The shops may also rent road bikes, cruisers, and kids bikes.
|Shop||Standard||Demo / High-End||Brand||Bike Type||Performance|
Sturtevants of Sun Valley
Giant, Liv, Scott, Santa Cruz, Haibike
MTB, Road, E-bike, Kids
E-Bike, MTB, Cruisers, City, Kids
MTB, E-Bike, Hybrid, Kids
MTB, City, Kids
Backwoods Mountain Sports
Comfort, MTB, E-Bike
Pete Lane's Bike Shop
Downhill, MTB, Road, Kids, E-bike
SUN VALLEY BIKE RENTAL SHOPS
We spent 6.4 hours researching Sun Valley and Ketchum bike rental prices, locations, and more. In short, here is what we think:
- Downhill / Chairlift experience: Rent from Pete Lane’s bike shop at the Sun Valley resort. They are the only ones that carry true downhill bikes and you’ll have easy access to the chairlifts. Downhill rentals in Sun Valley for a full day are $129.
- Hi-End Mountain bikes: If you’re looking to rent high-end demo bikes, we recommend Backwoods, Sturtevants or Elephant’s Perch. They carry brands like Pivot, Ibis, and Specialized and carry their high-end models.
- Best Value: PKs Bikes offers the best value bike rental in the area with the Marin branded rentals.
- 5.0 ⭐️ (10 reviews)
- Brands Carried: Marin
- Types of bikes: MTB, E-MTB, Cruisers, E-bike cruisers
- What we love: A locally owned and operated shop where you get the friendliest service and get to meet the owners. Their pricing is also very reasonable although we do wish they offer a larger variety of brands. But don’t worry, they do have a great line up of Marin brands to make sure you enjoy your mountain biking adventure.
Mountain bike daily rental rates
- Full Suspension Demo Rental Rates $50, Premium Full Suspension DEMO $70, Mountain Bike Electric $80
ELEPHANT’S PERCH BIKE SHOP
- 4.5 ⭐️ (57 reviews)
- Brands rented: Specialized and Ibis
- Types of bikes rented: Mountain bike, e-bike, cruisers, kids, gravel, road
BACKWOODS MOUNTAIN SPORTS
Backwoods mountain sports offers a limited range of brands but carries a really great selection of the Pivot branded bikes. This shop represents ”less but better” and makes selecting a mountain bike very easy. They also rent kayaks, rafts and other summer adventure equipment for your trip to Idaho.
- 4.6 ⭐️ (29 reviews)
- Brands rented: Pivot
- Types of bikes rented: Mountain bike, E-mountain bike
FORMULA SPORTS KETCHUM
Formula sports is centrally located in downtown Ketchum and offers delivery services for bike rentals, which is awesome.
- 4.5 ⭐️ (34 reviews)
- Brands rented: Trek and Electra
- Bike Types Rented: Mountain, City, Kids
- Although you may be able to walk in and rent a bike in Sun Valley during non-peak weekends, chances are most bike rental shops are going to be sold out of bikes during their peak weekends, or at least the exact bike that you’re looking for. We HIGHLY recommend renting in advance.
- This will also help you save time on your vacation. Most of the rental information and forms can be filled out online while you’re at work and supposed to be paying attention in the meeting (don’t worry, we won’t tell).
We list shops with the highest reviews (at least 4.0) on Google to make sure you have the best rental experience possible. If there is a shop that is missing, please let us know. We want to make sure we feature the top local outfitters with the best gear.
Damage protection is a tricky one, predicting whether you’ll need it or not would make us, well… actuaries. But, here are our thoughts on the matter.
- When it’s worth it:
- Riding technical trails: most trails have some degree of technicality. Even if you scratch just the stanchions on the fork, bike shops will charge you a pretty penny. And rightfully so, not only do they have to fix the repair, they may be out of stock on a bike that someone else could rent in the future.
- Riding premium or high-end bikes:
- The components are getting so expensive on these bikes, we think it is worth the $10/day to make sure you’re covered.
- When you may not need it:
- Riding green / easy trails
- Riding cruisers around town
Remember, most damage to bikes actually happens during the transporting of the bikes. Don’t try to jam them into your car because you’re trying to save a few bucks on the shuttle or don’t want to rent a bike rack. It’s worth it to have a bike that’s going to be rideable when you get to the trail!
Oh, and remember to check the fine print with the shop. It typically doesn’t cover ALL damage to the bike, there is still a covered/not covered list, it is insurance after all 😉
If you’re looking for convenience, we recommend Pete Lane’s bike shop as it is located at the base of Bald Mountain. You can rent from the base and take the chairlift up and avoiding having to transport your bike from town to the mountain. Although, it’s only a few minute pedal to ride from town to Bald Mountain and there is a path the entire way.
Downhill mountain bike rental
- Heaviest category of mountain bikes, designed to take a chairlift or a shuttle up and then ride downhill
- A full-suspension bike with a lot of travel. The suspension travel is typically greater than 150mm.
- Features: Typically 27.5″ tires, dropper seat posts, suspension travel of 6″ or more
All Mountain / Enduro bike rental
- Designed for mostly downhill but riding some uphill to get there. Although newer bike designs and drivetrains have made the geometry very uphill friendly
- Features: Travel between 155mm to 170mm, 27.5” wheels are the most popular in this category.
- This would be the recommended mountain bike to rent for the enduro rider or if you’re planning a shuttle ride.
Here is an in-depth review of the differences between the trail and all-mountain category.
Trail Mountain Bike Rental
- Features: Between 130 to 150mm of travel, dropper seat posts, 27.5 or 29″ wheels.
- This is the perfect bike for the non-shuttle trails, it’s the one bike category that does it all!
Cross Country (lightest – designed for climbing and speed)
- These bikes are light, have 29″ in wheels typically and are made for long rides that would require a lot of climbing or distance riding.
- Features: Typically 29″ wheels, carbon fiber with limited features such as dropper seat posts to reduce overall bike weight.
- Hardtail bikes are in this category as well
Junior / Kids Bikes
- Full suspension 24″ bikes aren’t always available for rent from most outfitters but can offer a great ride if your little one is riding the techy stuff already. If they are, that’s awesome! Send us a video!
- 24″ and 20″ kids bikes are available to rent from most other bike rental shops in Sun Valley – Ketchum
Sun Valley – Ketchum Mountain Biking Videos
Need Travel Insurance?
Did we mention these are some of the gnarliest trails in the world?
The Idaho Interscholastic Cycling League was founded in 2014 as a non-profit 501(c)(3) Project League of the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA). They facilitate the development of high school and middle school teams/clubs for grades 6-12 and provide the education, training, licensing and insurance for coaches and volunteers. They also produce high-quality mountain bike events and races that emphasize the value of participation, camaraderie, positive sporting behavior and well-being over competition.