|A hidden gem in the Midwest||Short season|
|Rated #1 outdoor town by Outside Magazine||Mosquitoes in the summer|
|Miles of epic riding right out of town||No free camping, BLM or National Forest options|
|Lots of technical trail options|
Duluth, MN is an up and coming mountain bike destination in the Midwest. Duluth was recently voted Outside Magazine’s Best Town Ever. It’s an outdoor mecca surrounded by the pristine Lake Superior and the iconic Northwoods. With 6,834 acres of city parkland, 178 miles of wooded trails, plus Lake Superior, there’s not much you can’t do when you are outside in Duluth. Minnesota’s “City on a Hill” overlooking Lake Superior has some of the best mountain biking in the Midwest. There’s over 150 miles (and growing fast) of bike trails, and Duluth is one of only 5 places in the world with the “Gold Level Ride Center” designation by IMBA.
MUST RIDE MOUNTAIN BIKING TRAILS IN DULUTH, MN
- There are 150+ miles of riding in Duluth, MN and the tough hardy MN folks ride all year long, even through the brutal winters thanks to fat bikes
- The Duluth Traverse (all levels) is an 85-mile point to point featured ride that is 75% singletrack that rides all the way across town with multiple bailout options for riding just a few sections
- Spirit Mountain downhill trails (Intermediate/Advanced) are Duluth’s only lift-serviced trails. The trails are short but fun!
DULUTH IS BEST KNOWN FOR
- Breweries, Minnesota nice community, plaid shirts, and the North Woods.
- Duluth is a relative newcomer on the best mountain bike town list, but the city is expanding trails rapidly and this Midwest town is making a name for itself within the mountain bike community!
WHERE TO RENT BIKES
- There is pretty much only one great mountain bike rental shop in town, Continental Bikes.
WHERE TO CAMP FOR FREE
- Unfortunately, there aren’t any free camping areas right in Duluth, but it is Minnesota nice. Check out Boondockers Welcome, it’s like couch surfing for your RV in hosts’ driveways. Requires an annual membership fee but it’s free to camp
OTHER OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES
- Visit the Boundary Waters Canoe Area to paddle to your hearts content pristine lakes and wilderness of northern Minnesota
BEST TIME TO VISIT
- Summer is a perfect time of the year but BRING BUG SPRAY. The MN mosquitoes don’t eff around..
- Late summer (end Aug/early Sept) can also be a really great time. Temperatures are a bit cooler, but that also means that the worst of the mosquito season is gone!