BIKE RENTALS NEAR ME
TripOutside is the largest bike rental platform that allows you to rent bicycles from the top-rated bike shops all over the country. You can search by different styles of bicycles like road bike rentals, mountain bike rentals, cruiser bike rentals and even electric bikes (e-bikes).
Road bikes are best used on well, you guessed it, the road or paved paths. They are meant to go fast and far. Typically, road bikes have narrower tires, dropped handlebars, lightweight frames, and an aerodynamic design.
There are many different types of road bike rentals:
Race – Racing road bike rentals are the types of bikes that you would see in the Tour de France or on a group ride in your town. Think spandex and speed.
Touring – Touring road bike rentals will typically have a slightly upright riding position, slightly less rigid frames that provide more comfort for longer rides. They also may have many areas for you to store extra water bottles or additional packs
Fitness road bike rentals – Fitness road bikes are a relatively new category of road bikes which are essentially a racing road bike with flat handlebars. This gives you all of the speed and efficiency of a road bike but with more stability and ease of riding as not everyone is comfortable riding with drop handlebars.
Gravel / Cyclocross Road Bike Rentals – These are the perfect road bike that can take it all. They are tougher road bikes as they have thicker tires, more grip on the tires, disc brakes, upright riding position like the touring bikes but can still be ridden on the road with efficiency. Gravel bikes aren’t as fast as racing or touring road bikes but can handle gravel, dirt, sand much better than the typical road bike.
They are a great option if you’re planning on exploring long distances, want to go fast, and explore off the beaten path as well. They won’t be able to handle as much singletrack riding, rocks, and as much as a mountain bike can handle, however.
There are so many different types and categories of mountain bikes. Here are a couple of the most popular.
Hardtail Mountain Bike Rentals
Hardtail mountain bikes have suspension only in the front. They are great for climbing mountains, since they are light and efficient. They work well for both cross country and trail riding.
Full Suspension Mountain Bike Rentals
- Cross Country Mountain Bikes – the fastest and lightest of the full-suspension mountain bikes. These bikes are made to go as fast as possible and for long distances.
- Trail Mountain Bikes – The trail mountain bikes have more suspension (aka travel), thicker tires, and slacker geometry than the cross country bikes. They can handle a larger variety of trail as they can still pedal efficiently uphill.
- All Mountain / Enduro Mountain Bikes – are perfect for shuttle assisted rides like the Porcupine Rim in Moab or the Downieville Classic. If you are going to be riding ‘mostly’ downhill but may still have uphill sections or if you’re planning an Enduro style ride where you climb all the uphill first and then plan on a long downhill run, this is the bike for you. They have more suspension, even bigger tires and brakes, slacker geometry than the trail bikes but can still climb uphill unlike the downhill bikes.
- Downhill Mountain Bikes – for lift-assisted or shuttle assisted downhill rides that have big drops, steep downhills, lots of roots and rocks and not much climbing uphill.
- Electric Mountain Bikes – there are many categories of E-bikes, some are pedal assist and some have a throttle. There are restrictions by trail on where e-bikes can be ridden so it is best to check with your bike rental shop to see which trails you are allowed to go on.
Cruiser bikes are the most commonly rented bikes in cities or vacation destinations as they allow you to explore an area and have fun doing it. Cruisers are easy to ride, have a relaxed geometry, and can come in a variety of sizes and styles such as hybrid bikes, beach cruiser bike rentals, women-specific and more.
If you’re planning on riding a paved path or exploring a city but don’t care about how fast you do it, these are the bikes for you.
Electric bike (e-bike) rentals are most commonly available in fitness road bikes and cruiser bikes. We covered electric mountain bikes in the mountain biking section above so we won’t cover them here.
E-bike rentals are the perfect way to go the distance or uphills if you don’t want to sweat it as much. They allow you to explore further and faster and they are one of the fastest-growing categories of bikes.