Best Aspen, CO Bike Rental Shops
Below are the Aspen mountain bike rental prices for each of the shops. The shops may also rent road bikes, cruisers, and kids bikes.
|Shop||Standard||Demo / High-End||Brand||Bike Type||Performance|
BMC, Cima, Orbea
Road, MTB, E-bike
Pivot, Santa Cruz, Giant, Specialized, Pinarello
MTB, E-bike, Comfort, Road, Kids
Specialized, Kalkhoff, Focus, Bulls
Ibis, Giant, Norco, Intense, Transition
Cannondale, Rocky Mountain, Bianchi, Elby
Road, MTB, Cruiser, Kids
Aspen Mountain Bike Rentals
We spent 4.8 hours researching Aspen bike rental prices, locations, and more. Here are the ones we recommend:
ASPEN BICYCLES BIKE SHOP
- 5.0 ⭐️ (8 reviews)
- Brands carried: Cannondale and Rocky Mountain
- What we love: Instant booking option and variety of bike types available to rent including e-bikes, road, kids, and trailers.
- 4.4 ⭐️ (13 reviews)
- Brands carried: Specialized
- Types: E-bikes, MTB, Road and Cruiser bikes
- What we love: They offer a variety of summer sports including paddleboard rentals and allow you to book the gear instantly online.
BASALT BIKE & SKI
- 4.2 ⭐️ (30 reviews)
- Brands carried: Pivot, Santa Cruz/Juliana, Giant/Liv, Specialized, Pinarello
- Types: MTB, Road, Cruiser, Kids, E-bikes
- What we love: Basalt has an amazing selection of high-end brands and the prices are extremely reasonable although we do wish they allowed online reservations or bookings that didn’t require the customer to call the shop.
FOUR MOUNTAIN SPORTS
- 3.5 ⭐️ 14 reviews (Yelp)
- If you’re looking to rent a true DH bike in Aspen. They’re slightly pricey but they carry a great line up of brands and models.
Premium /High-End Bike Rentals Aspen, CO
- Retail for more than $4500
- Full suspension
- Dropper seat post
- Carbon frame
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- 1×12 drivetrain
Mid-Range Bike Rentals Aspen, CO
- Retail between $3000 to $4500
- Hydraulic disc brakes
- Typically an Aluminum frame
- 1×12 or 1×11 drivetrain
Standard Bike Rentals Aspen, CO
- Retail between $2000 to $3000
- Full Suspension
Hardtail MTB Bike Rentals Aspen, CO
- Retail between $700 to $2000
- Front suspension only
- We don’t recommend renting a hardtail bike if you’re doing some of the technical trails in the area.
E-bikes / Pedal Assist Bike Rentals Aspen, CO
- Full-suspension or hardtail mountain bikes that have a battery-powered electric motor that assists in pedaling the bike.
- The bike is significantly heavier than a typical mountain bike but can assist on riding long or technical uphills or simply getting in more miles on your ride than a regular bike.
- NOTE: You can’t ride an e-bike or a pedal assist bike on all trails in Aspen, CO, they are only allowed on some of the trails. Check with your local shop to get a list of trails that allow pedal assist and/or e-bikes.
- Although you may be able to walk in and rent a bike during non-peak weekends, chances are that most bike rental shops in Aspen, CO are going to be sold out of bikes during their peak season (May-August), or at least the exact bike that you’re looking for. We HIGHLY recommend renting in advance.
- This will also help you save time on your vacation. Most of the rental information and forms can be filled out online while you’re at work and supposed to be paying attention in the meeting (don’t worry, we won’t tell).
We list shops with the highest reviews (at least 4.0) on Google to make sure you have the best rental experience possible. If there is a shop that is missing, please let us know. We want to make sure we feature the top local outfitters with the best gear.
Damage protection is a tricky one, predicting whether you’ll need it or not would make us, well… actuaries. But, here are our thoughts on the matter.
- When it’s worth it:
- Riding technical trails: most mountain biking trails have some degree of technicality. Even if you scratch just the stanchions on the fork, bike shops will charge you a pretty penny. And rightfully so, not only do they have to fix the repair, they may be out of stock on a bike that someone else could rent in the future.
- Riding premium or high-end bikes:
- The components are getting so expensive on these bikes, we think it is worth the $10/day to make sure you’re covered.
- When you may not need it:
- Riding green / easy trails
- Riding cruiser bikes around town and not transporting the bikes.
Remember, most damage to bikes actually happens during the transporting of the bikes. Don’t try to jam them into your car because you’re trying to save a few bucks on the shuttle or don’t want to rent a bike rack. It’s worth it to have a bike that’s going to be rideable when you get to the trail!
Oh, and remember to check the fine print with the shop. It typically doesn’t cover ALL damage to the bike, there is still a covered/not covered list, it is insurance after all 😉
Downhill mountain bike rental
- Heaviest category of mountain bikes, designed to take a chairlift or a shuttle up and then ride downhill
- A full-suspension bike with a lot of travel. The suspension travel is typically greater than 150mm.
- Features: Typically 27.5″ tires, dropper seat posts, suspension travel of 6″ or more
- Great for the Snowmass Bike Park
All Mountain / Enduro bike rental
- Designed for mostly downhill but riding some uphill to get there. Although newer bike designs and drivetrains have made the geometry very uphill friendly
- Features: Travel between 155mm to 170mm, 27.5” wheels are the most popular in this category.
- This would be the recommended mountain bike to rent for the downhill chairlift or shuttle rides
Here is an in-depth review of the differences between the trail and all-mountain category.
Trail Mountain Bike Rental
- Features: Between 130 to 150mm of travel, dropper seat posts, 27.5 or 29″ wheels.
- This is the perfect bike for the non-shuttle trails in Aspen, CO.
- If you only wanted to rent one bike type for any type of terrain, the trail category is the one to go with!
Cross Country (lightest – designed for climbing and speed)
- These bikes are light, have 29″ in wheels typically and are made for long rides that would require a lot of climbing or distance riding.
- Features: Typically 29″ wheels, carbon fiber with limited features such as dropper seat posts to reduce overall bike weight.
- Hardtail bikes are in this category as well
Junior / Kids Bikes
- Who rents full suspension 24″ bikes
- 24″ and 20″ kids bikes are available to rent from most other bike rental shops in Aspen, CO
Aspen, CO Mountain Biking Videos
Need Travel Insurance?
Did we mention these are some of the gnarliest trails in the world?